Pulp and Paper Research Institute
Virtual McGill

Nobbs' sketch -- McGill Archives

The Pulp and Paper Research Institute was built in 1927 by Percy Nobbs, Professor of Design at the School of Architecture at the time and architect of many other campus projects. This sturdy, three-storey stone structure, located on University Street just north of the Otto Maass Chemistry Building, nicely reflects Nobbs' 1931 extension to RVC just across the street. It demonstrates the wide range of ability of one architect.

Originally, the Institute was the home of the Cellulose Chemistry Department of McGill, the Pulp and Paper Division of the government's Forest Products Laboratories, and the research labs of the Pulp and Paper Association, all involved in the advancement of study of wood fibres. Large pulp mills and other mechanical equipment were installed in the building. The funding of the Institute was plentiful as it was backed by industry and the government. Many fine discoveries were made there, for instance, a means for mass producing artificial vanillin flavouring, found in many food products today. The Institute was also very active in making various strengths and types of paper during World War II. McGill has allowed many graduate researchers in Chemistry to earn their degrees here and so the University has benefited from the Institute as well.

Today the Pulp and Paper Research Institute continues its work and still shares its space with the Faculties of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.

Back to Main Menu
Browse nearby buildings
Built 1927
Architect - Percy Nobbs
Donor - Federal Government
Current use - Chemical Engineering

Institute in winter
-- McGill Archives

Door to Institute
-- McGill Archives

Institute interior - mills
-- McGill Archives

View from campus
-- McGill Archives