Davis [James T.] House
Virtual McGill

James T. Davis House -- Notman Archive (McCord Museum)

In 1909, James T. Davis, a Square Mile entrepreneur, commissioned the renowned Canadian architects Edward and William Maxwell to design a mansion suitable for a man of his stature. The result was an Elizabethan Tudor style edifice of red brick on Drummond Street. This building, which features Dutch dormer windows, high gables, and steep roofs, shows the flexibility of the Beaux-arts trained architects. At the request of their patron, the Maxwells used a concealed steel and concrete frame to support the structure and supplied electric lighting to the house. The mansion has many interesting features, such as the dining room, which is a replica of a room in the Vatican, the Italian Renaissance style library, a seventeenth-century English dining room, and the chapel on the second floor.

In 1956, McGill purchased the Davis house from Mrs. Davis, the widow of James T. Davis. It is now the home of the School of Physical and Occupational Therapy, yet still retains most of its original design and detail.

Additional Pictures of the James T. Davis House
Bedroom -- Notman Archive (McCord Museum)
Back to Main Menu
Browse nearby buildings
Built 1909
Architects - Edward and William Maxwell
Donor - none
Current use - School of Physical and Occupational Therapy

Dining room
-- Notman Archive (McCord Museum)

-- Notman Archive (McCord Museum)

-- Notman Archive (McCord Museum)

James T. Davis House
-- McGill Archives